Sunday, May 6, 2012

Talent Show

So much has happened this week and then when I sit down to write it down, I forget.  How is that even possible?

In the CH Ward there is an annual talent show.  It is a pretty big deal and the missionaries, the Sisters and the Elders, always share their own talents.  So, from day one I told Sister F that we had to perform.   She took it all in stride like it was no big deal. 

I found out that we can both play the violin.  We have been on the hunt for two violins.  Monday night we attempted to find violins that members owned and it was surprisingly difficult to even find people who played the violin.  I thought playing the violin and playing the piano were normal things in the Mormon community, but it is very rare around here.   Brother and Sister H (Brother H is in the bishopric) took it on themselves to find us 2 violins.  This happened on Thursday night and the talent show was on Friday night.  We finally got 2 violins at about 2PM on Friday.  We created an arrangement that we practiced about 3-4 times.  Then we had to stop practicing to teach a couple of missionary lessons.  After that, we basically performed.  I was freaked out and Sister F tried to reassure me.  Her reassurance didn't work very well.  Anyway, it was very last minute but I played the violin in a talent show, a duet.

Sister F is pretty quiet but she is more outgoing in some ways than I am.  She is teaching me to just go for it.  I am pretty sure she is training me.  She is very confident, sweet, and cute.  She is the youngest of 6 girls.  She kind of reminds me of Aunt Shawna, which is fun.  I am learning to whistle using my hands like Aunt Shawna does.  It is going to be my talent when I come home.  I just have to learn how to get consistent and be able to switch notes now.  I blew my first note this week!

Continuation of the talent story:  President and Sister Y came to our ward on Sunday and the ward told them how well we did playing our violins.  President Y asked us to play the musical number for the specialized training meeting.  That's what happens when you share your talent, I guess.  But it is good.  I will let you know how it goes.  It was fun to be able to play the violin.  It reminded me of playing at home with the family.  Another thought is how can you say no when you are serving other people? Jesus Christ served us in the best way possible.  He is always the ultimate example of service.

Well, family, I love you all.  I am sorry I am missing all the exciting things [graduations, wedding] that are happening but I will be thinking of you all this week.  I love you!  I expect some great (and detailed) letters next week.  Send pictures.  Love, Sister Cluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment