Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Teaching Moments

Hmm, what to talk about.... 

One of the most exciting things this week was that we set a baptismal date with an older sister.  She is 67 and we have a fellowshipper [church member who introduces a friend to the Gospel] who is 82.  It is so fun to have lessons with them.  No, really it is.  They tell all of their tales.  This last lesson we had we were going to teach about the plan of salvation but then Sister S (the investigator) said the only issue she had about being baptized was that she didn't understand why she needed to be baptized again.  It was amazing to feel the Spirit guiding Sister F and I in what we needed to say.  I was able to share an analogy I had thought of the other day showing why it was important that we have God's authority or the Priesthood power when the ordinance is performed.  It was something like this:  imagine a legal contract, there is the actual contract and then signatures on the bottom.  When we get baptized we sign our name and when it is done using the Priesthood authority it is as if God signs his name to the contract.  Baptism is like signing a contract, we make promises and God makes promises in return.  I kinda like my analogy.  I never realized before but I am an analogy kind of person.  Sister F was then able to share a scripture that talked about how when we strive to come close to God we feel good.  Sister S has a testimony of the Book of Mormon and believes that Joseph Smith was a prophet.  Now she understands why she felt good during her last baptism but why it is important to be baptized by someone holding Priesthood authority. 

I love helping in the work of the Lord.  It is just so good.  Yes, at times it is hard... but I think of people, like Sister S, who is going to be blessed as she makes her baptismal covenants and Julie who is going to be baptized in just a few short hours.  Life is good and it is even better with this gospel that helps us return to live with our Father in heaven.

I love you all!  Thank you for your prayers and letters (hint hint) I would love more letters.  Thanks to all who have written me.  I love you!  Love, Sister Cluff

P.S.  Transfers are coming again.  We will find out on Saturday what is going on.  On Monday, I may be moved.  I started packing today, because I am pretty sure either me or Sister F are moving… or both of us are moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment